Re: [TenTec] 2.033

To: Ron Castro <ronc@sonic.net>,Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 2.033
From: Lin Davis <linbdavis@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 20:47:47 -0400
Dream NR:

Very similar to Ron's thoughts.

I would love if the O's had both DE and a leaky adaptive predictor filter and
we
could chose one or the other or both and be able to vary each separately. As
Ken
Brown mentioned, I think any dramtic "pull the signal from below the noise
floor" implementation would end up taking too much time (latency) and DST
horsepower to be practical (but I don't know this definitively).

I had a short e-mail exchange with Doug Smith recently, because I was wondering
if the leaky part of the leaky adaptive predictor could be increased with a
corresponding increase in adaption rate, so one gets both spectral filtering
and
DE noise gate action from a single implementation. He felt you could, but only
to a point. Here's part of what he said

"...the speed of adaptation is also proportional to the
amplitude of the input signal. In other words, you have
to make it more aggressive when the signal is small--
just when you need noise reduction the most. That can be
a bit tricky because of certain overflow problems and other
instabilities in software."

So it's the same old story, DSP isn't magic.

But I sure like being able to reduce the noise on most signals! I don't
experience the noise fatigue I had with my old Heath equipment.

Lin
WB1AIW