Re: [TenTec] Orion Noise Reduction

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion Noise Reduction
From: K4IA@aol.com
Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 12:06:59 EDT
DSP magic was not hidden in ver 1.371.  It got buried in every version  after
that.

In 1.371 it made the receiver get very quiet - no hiss, no ocean  noise.  I
describe it as "squelch like."  When a signal came on, the  receiver would jump
to life.  I only remember hearing the signal, not a lot  of noise.  It made
listening very comfortable not having to hear all the  static and background
hash.

The signal would distort only if you turned the NR up too high.  I  remember
3 being a good setting.  The setting did not increase the amount  of NR, it
made the NR faster adapting.

Whatever happened after 1.371 destroyed NR - it is unusable or makes no
difference at all in the present 2.xxx software.  The NR button on the rig
might
as well not even be there.

DISCLAIMER - I love my Orion. I want to kiss it every night before I go to
bed.  It is the best radio I ever owned.  All the folks at TenTec  and
DitsnBits are wonderful.  My only reason for making this post is  my sincere
desire to
see the radio live up to its full potential and to assist  in the process of
having that come to pass.

k4ia
Craig  "Buck"
Fredericksburg, Virginia USA