Re: [TenTec] Orion Noise Reduction

Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion Noise Reduction
From: Gary Tuck <gtuck@mac.com>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 13:39:52 -0700
Earlier this spring, I installed v1.371 again and confirmed the near
magical improvement NR brought.  As the other noise reduction toolkit
items were in the AGC loop, NR was delicious frosting on the cake.
There were many times when NR lifted the signal out of the noise
better than reducing the BW.   Smooth running amidst urban noise.
Beautiful!  I agree completely with Buck.  Effectiveness began
deteriorating with v1.372.  NR only seems to reduce the audio of both
the noise and the signal in it's current version.

But I'm using v2.056 now cuz v1.37x also brought a harsh leading edge
to strong CW signals and instability, especially when using my TT
amp.  I've gone to v1.373b5 a number of times and returned to v2.

The tough choice at my QTH is not between v1 and v2 on the Orion but
between the Orion and an Omni VI+ with an InRad roofing filter.  My
Plus is from a very early production run but has been updated with
the TXCO and not sure what else.  It is very pleasant to listen to.
The NR on this early version increases the noise but also improves
the S/N ratio.  The NB doesn't do much in my neighborhood--the Orion
hardware NB is better.  On very weak signals, I think the Orion does
a tiny bit better.  But the Plus is so simple and a joy to operate.
Orion is presently on the desk.

Gary W7TEA