Re: [TenTec] Mobile Power Source for Scout

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Mobile Power Source for Scout
From: Bwana Bob <wb2vuf@qsl.net>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 14:36:47 -0400
Jim:

If you are running half power, even a relatively small gel cell battery
will work. I've been able to run 2-4 hours at a time using only a 7
amp-hour battery, though, bigger is better, of course. Just decide how
log you will operate and how heavy a battery you can easily carry.

You said the secret word: Explorer. If the engine is running, a separate
power source will not help you. The main noise source in the Explorer is
the fuel pump. The hash from the pump is radiated by the wiring and
picked up by your antenna. Ford has a filter kit available, but it
mounts on the pump motor. Installing the Ford filter requires dropping
the fuel tank. However, many Explorer hams have successfully used
outboard filters. These may be ferrite cores clamped around the pump
wires or (my favorite) feedthrough capacitors. Check out the "ham radio
and trail communications" forum on http//:www.Explorerforum.com or
http://www.4x4central.com. This is the best source of information. There
is also a mobile radio installation guide that can be downloaded from
the Ford web site.

BTW I have a T-T Scout and a vintage 1992 Explorer.

                                73,

                                Bob WB2VUF