Re: [TenTec] Orion SP on 2.056 vs 1.372

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion SP on 2.056 vs 1.372
From: Martin Ewing <martin.ewing@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 09:22:56 -0400
(A certain amount of rude language seems to go with ham radio -- or the Internet, but caps lock is de trop.)

Anyway, I tried to phrase my report & question carefully. The fact seems to be that v2 firmware gives ~ 3 dB less output power with SP than does v1. So, running SSB/SP with v1 on the Orion, I have half an S-unit advantage over any Orion II! (Probably more than that, when you consider the SP's improved signal intelligibility.)

Maybe the market will figure this out and the pricing of used Orions will go up. You have a lot more firmware versions to choose from with the Classic model. ;-)

73 Martin AA6E

Grant Youngman wrote:
PLEASE TAKE OFF YOUR BIB AND PUT DOWN THE BABY BOTTLE AND TAKE THE BABY FOOD OUT YOUR MONTH.

Whew!

Some of us have taken the time and made the effort to at least attempt to
characterize the differences between the radios, and the differences between
the firmware versions.

Some differences are nits.  Some differences are consequential.  Some
differences matter to some and not to others.  Version A does some things
better than version B.  Version B does some things better than version A.

I'm trying to figure out why discussing these things implies a bib is
required, or implies that strained peas are an appropriate diet.

Grant/NQ5T