Re: [TenTec] Orion time domain issues, QSK

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion time domain issues, QSK
From: "Ron Castro" <ronc@sonic.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 14:28:14 -0700
Martin:  Good job on the manuscript!  It would be interesting to see of
those measurements are any different in the other versions and on the O2.  I
don't do much CW, although I'm going to try to upgrade my skills for
contesting.  When I do use CW, I generally set the Orion II QSK to 20% since
I find full QSK to be distracting.

I wonder if the some of the audio distortion in the monitor that some folks
have mentioned might actually be the result of delay.  This is a problem
that has come up recently in broadcasting since most processors have gone
digital, as have many mixing boards, studio transmitter links, and
transmitters, and some jocks who use true on-air monitors to listen to when
they talk have been complaining.  Most processors use 3 to 6 mS of delay,
however the latency on T1 circuits that are often used to feed transmitters
via land lines varies quite a bit.  Most agree that 6 mS is not a problem,
but when delay gets over 25 mS it gets noticeable.  Things will change when
HD Radio comes of age, since it requires a full 6 seconds (not mS) of delay
of both the digital and analog signals to accomplish the forward error
correction scheme and blend back to analog when the digital signal fails.

Ron N6AHA