Re: [TenTec] Dial drag adjustment

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Dial drag adjustment
From: "Grant Youngman" <nq5t@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 18:33:56 -0700

> Has anyone figured out how to adjust the dial drag on the
> Orion radios?  I've tried to hold the knob skirt but have
> come to the conclusion that my fingers are too fat and weak
> to accomplish the task.  Someone must have figured this out by now.

If you can't manage to get it right by rotating the skirt, you can simply
adjust the position of the knob on the shaft to get the drag where you want
it.  Just slide off the rubberized covering over the knob to expose the
setscrews.  Loosen the setscrews, and then set the knob pressure against the
panel to get you to the point you want to be, using one of the setscrews to
hold it in place as you play with it.  Once you have it, tighten everything
back up and put the rubber covering back on.

You can also see how the tension adjustment works once you have the knob
off.  Set it to the mid-point detent before putting it back on and adjusting
it -- then you can "fine tune" your setting after the knob is reinstalled
with roughly the correct tension.

Grant/NQ5T