Re: [TenTec] Is Orion really worth it? Given the published problems?

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Is Orion really worth it? Given the published problems?
From: "Grant Youngman" <nq5t@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 19:54:33 -0700
> I use the ORION II with 2.034 software and find it to be the
> best radio I've ever used.  Surely it can be improved and
> some of the complaints have merit, but they are below the
> threshold of noise when it comes to actually comparing the
> radio with the competition. IMO.

Actually, the "competition", for many of us who have raised concerns with
the II/v2, is not some other radio, but the v1 Orion.

There's all the stuff that Ron Castro captured on his list.  Plus the fact
(which often gets left out by non v1 Orion owners), that in the v1, the
transmit audio bandwidth actually meets specification and is adjustable as
advertised, while in the II/v2, it is so screwed up as to not even be close.
I see this as real damage.  Others may view it as acceptable.

I think if we could get the best of the v1 and the best of the II/v2 in the
same new firmware release, the list would get very very quiet because
there'd be nothing much left to grumble about :-)

Grant/NQ5T