Re: [TenTec] Is Orion really worth it? Given the published problems?

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Is Orion really worth it? Given the published problems?
From: "Ron Castro" <ronc@sonic.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 15:35:03 -0700
Then by all means, please post a copy of the firmware that has apparently
fixed in your unit the following:

1).  The notch and auto notch that is outside the AGC loop contrary to the
specifications;
2).  The whacky S-meter that reads 12 dB low below S-9 and 20-30 dB high
above it;
3).  The missing 9 dB of low frequency response at 50 Hz as shown in the
specifications;
4).  The NR that is of no practical benefit;
5).  The speech processor that only increases background noise and doesn't
increase average power much;
6).  The 3 kHz of received audio bandwidth on AM that used to be 6 kHz.
7).  The distortion in the AM detector.
8).  The 'click clack' sound in the CW sidetone.

You either have received a special beta copy of the firmware that the rest
of the users on this list have not had access to (I thought Bob Sherwood was
the only one!), you haven't used your radio enough to notice the above
problems, or you're not discerning enough to know how a good radio should
operate.  If the latter is the case, don't worry...there are lots of folks
who can't tell the difference between a Ford and Mercedes, and folks who
drive Porsches, but only to church and never over 55 MPH.  There are lots of
hams who buy expensive, high-performance radios who only use them to check
into an old-farts net on 40 only to say "QRU and QRV here...back to the net"
once a week or to tell their cronies about their latest medical maladies. In
that case, none of the above matters and an FT-101 would work fine.

I'm not ragging on Ten Tec because I know they are aware of the problems and
are working on solutions, but being a "Steppford ham" won't make the
problems go away.

Ron N6AHA