Re: [TenTec] Being a Contrarian...."

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Being a Contrarian...."
From: CATFISHTWO@aol.com
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 14:35:48 EDT

I remember my first "real computer, a Rat Shack model 1 level one with 4 k
of memory.  had to program in hex..then I got a model 1 level 3 with 16 k  of
memory, wow what a computer... then I bought a commodore 64, can you imagine
64 k of memory and only $500 bucks?? impressive, and we used page memory to run
 programs, Cload and Csave to the cassette recorders..and then they came out
with  a floppy drive for about $150 or so for a 360 k floppy.  then I bought a
 8088 machine, and ran word perfect ( before corel bought it) from 2 floppy
disks  and a data disk, now that was some tight programming.

folks there has been a ton of development in computers and radios in the
last few years and it will continue in the future. how close are today's cell
phones to the "Dick Tracy"  wrist watch radio??

 I think that Ten Tec is doing a workman's job in the development of  the
Orion series, and I encourage them to continue on with their efforts.   Perhaps
they would have been better off using an intel pentium 5 D chip instead  of the
dragonball, but they are doing well with their choice. so Lets remember  that
good development may take more time than we expect, and I truly enjoy my
Orion as is and am looking forward to the next version of software in the
future.

so I worked swain island twice on 20 m and once on 17m. one with the amp on
20 and the other two barefoot on the O with 100 watts, seems to be working for
 me..

tom N6AJR

In a message dated 8/1/2006 8:31:05 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
shristov@ptt.yu writes:

Jeff  Sumner wrote:

> I far more admire that code which is elegant,  simple, powerful, and easy to
> maintain ...

It seems to me  that two different definitions of "elegant code"
keep floating around. The  one as you stated above, and the other
maintaining that an "elegant code"  is inherently complex,
unreadable and difficult to  maintain.

73,

Sinisa  YT1NT,  VE3EA