Re: [TenTec] An accessory idea for the new Omni VII

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] An accessory idea for the new Omni VII
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 07:10:55 -0400
> lawyer may argue otherwise). I think the case can be made
> that the wireless Ethernet and Internet portions of the
> control link(s) in this case are the equivalent of land line
> based control such as dedicated telephone lines would be
> (ref. 97.213(a)).

That's correct.  Part 97 regulates the type and emissions of radio links,
but not the type of non-radio control.  Nor do I see anything within Part 97
that addresses "positive control" of the link to ensure that the transmitter
is under continuous control.

In several non-Part 97 systems (e.g., Part 73 - Broadcasting), the FCC
generally requires a watch-dog timer device of some kind to inhibit
transmissions when the control link is lost.

It would seem reasonable, albeit not a strict FCC requirement, to utilize a
TCP/IP polling method to inhibit Part 97 transmissions.  If the transceiver
receives no polling command within a pre-determined period of time, the
transmitter becomes inhibited from further transmissions until control is
re-established.

For example, let's say you initiate the "TUNE" function on your tranceiver
from your remote location and at that moment, your link to the ISP vanishes.
You now have a transmitter operating completely out of control.  And
although Part 97 may not specifically address Internet-based remote control
systems, you then become under attack from other areas within Part 97.

It would certainly make sense to include a similar timing device in the Omni
VII.  I presume some additional coding would be necessary, but without any
further refinement in hardware.

Paul, W9AC