Re: [TenTec] ORION2_COMMUNICATION_WITH -2_DEVICES

To: "TenTec List" <TenTec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] ORION2_COMMUNICATION_WITH -2_DEVICES
From: "Rick Williams" <rick.williams@telus.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 13:41:12 -0700
Yes.  I built my own Y-cable using the schematic on the SteppIR 3 element
yagi manual (Page 27). I run my Orion with Logger32 and N1MM plus the N4PY
software.  The wiring is as you mentioned.

http://www.steppir.com/pdf/yagi%20instructions%20feb%205%202003.pdf

The SteppIR only looks for data transmitted from the rig or the software.
It does not transmit back any info. Also, with the Y-cable installed the
SteppIR MUST be operated with the logging software.  Without the logging
software it knows nothing about the rig frequency.  Finally, the SteppIR
needs to be in General mode to track the Orion.

My SteppIR was delivered in January 2006.  It is my understanding that in
some of the earlier boxes there were problems with the SteppIR to Orion
interface.

You may also want to visit the SteppIR group on Yahoo and look through the
archives.

73,

Rick
VE7TK