Re: [TenTec] Questions on Corsair II

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Questions on Corsair II
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2006 19:36:29 -0600
On Sun, 2006-10-08 at 17:20 -0600, n0tu/Steve wrote:
> I just picked up a nice Corsair II w/VFO and spent the weekend
> learning how to drive it. What a great receiver! Lots of bells and
> whistles to slice out the weak ones. After several hours of driving
> them (RX/VFO) its apparent both PTOs will need rebuilding sooner than
> later. The evidence is signal warble after tuning in a station which
> finally settles out. At first I thought I was hearing 'Arctic flutter'
> on a lot of stations but then realized it was on ALL signals! So any
> tips on rebuilding PTOs?

It took me three hours. The parts in mine were worn so the rebuild kit
was a necessity. Work over a tray with turned up edges (like a cafeteria
tray) and no gaps, else you will be in need of small steel balls.

> Also I'm hearing a relay dropping in-and-out on CW? Should this be
> happening? ...maybe it's a amp control relay? Hoping I can disable
> this guy? Doesn't seem to affect the QSK as far as I can tell.

Its the external PA control relay. Many have been quieted with a match
stick or piece off a match book between the clapper and the coil.

> Another thing is the silly keyer speed control pot's usable range is
> crammed into about 15 degrees? What's up with that? Plus the manual
> does not include the keyer schematic. Although it's referenced in the
> block diagram as the "logic board" no. 81246. Someone have the
> schematic for this?

Works fine with my straight key.

> So far I'm really happy with this rig. Think it'll stay on my desk a
> long time once I work out the little bugs. Best of all no menus!
>
> Steve/nÃtu

While looking for a complete manual, does anyone have page 3-34 in their
manual. The manuals that WA3MKB and I have, two that came with radios,
one from W7FG are all missing page 3-34 which the table on contents says
is the parts list. Is this a page Tentec neglected to update and so
ripped out, or is it gone because its the last page of the book?

--
73, Jerry, K0CQ,