Re: [TenTec] UCW and LCW

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] UCW and LCW
From: "Duane Calvin" <ac5aa1@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 18:19:26 -0600
There are two ways this is useful that I'm aware of.  First, if you are used
to some other brands of radios, they use UCW.  Others use LCW, so it could
be just to match what you're used to.  But the real usefulness is there is a
strong interfering signal which is far enough away that switching from LCW
to UCW places that signal on the other side of zero beat - i.e., no longer
in the passband of the RX.  Of course, that won't work for a close signal,
and filters may work just as well.  But, theoretically, switching from one
side to the other presents you with easier conditions to work the filters
with.  I've not found this useful to date, but should try it more often.

        73, Duane

Duane Calvin, AC5AA
Austin, Texas
www.ac5aa.com