Re: [TenTec] Orion 1 & 2 "Talk Power" problem

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion 1 & 2 "Talk Power" problem
From: "Merle Bone" <merlebone@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 09:38:27 -0600
Dennis (K8DO) said:
"An average of 800-900  with a 1400 peak is heavily, heavily compressed, is
going to sound heavily compressed, is distorted <look at it on a scope>, and is
not doing the transceiver or amp any favors, and is certainly not doing any
favors for the folks who have to listen to it....  I have to say that I do not
understand this need to see some big average number on the watt meter when
talking, and have the sound of your breathing roaring in my ear, and your dog
in the background, and the cars going by your house...... "
Actually Dennis, I don't use that much compression except when chasing DX that
is "tough " to get.
However, see my earlier post on this subject describing series of tests run
with another ham, local friend, on
10M. The compressed audio is very good. I'd be happy to demonstrate some time.
You might also want to see
Doug Smith's write up http://www.doug-smith.net/orion.htm on the approach he
took to the Orion V1 compression (By the way, the V2 code isn't capable of
nearly as much average talk power without the distortion you suggested). Doug
Smith, describing the Orion V1 firmware, wrote:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Transmit Speech Processing in DSP

It might seem funny but in a DSP transmitter, it is relatively easy to compute
the transmitter's RF envelope before the modulation is even performed! That, in
turn, makes it possible to preprocess the audio applied to the modulator to get
exactly the same effect as that produced by an RF compressor. See Fig 5.
Post-modulation band-pass filtering maintains the desired occupied bandwidth.
As the decay time of the compressor is decreased, an RF compressor approaches
the behavior of an RF clipper, long known to be the most effective form of
speech processing for SSB. In combination with the Orion's transmit equalizer,
results are quite dramatic.

The reason RF compressors and clippers are so effective is that they increase
the average power transmitted. Human voices tend to have high peak-to-average
power ratios-- as high as 15 dB. That means a transmitter whose peak envelope
power is limited to 100 W may achieve an average power of as little as 3 W.
Under such conditions, the Orion's RF compressor may add 10 dB or more to the
average power, equivalent to a ten-fold increase in output power. The speech
processor achieves this goal without introducing the kind of distortion that
harms intelligibility, such as that created by heavy audio compression or
clipping.

This is a very impressive capability of the V1 code and is the best speech
compression I have ever heard.
73, Merle - W0EWM