Re: [TenTec] LP audio filter

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] LP audio filter
From: "RB" <K9RB@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 10:29:35 -0500
GM Paul,

LP makes a world of difference with my model 564 Omni 6 Plus. It seems to be
more effective at ambient noise reduction than the NR does! I believe the NR
was also quite effective prior to my installation of the INRAD #765 600 Hz.
Roofing filter, which limits the ability for the NR to do it's intended job
now, but the roofing filter more than made up for that. FYI, I generally use
my 6+ for the same purposes as you do, with the pair of optional 250hz. CW
filters also cascaded. The TenTec special 221 filter, centered at 500 Hz.
audio frequency in addition to the INRAD roofing filter also centered at 500
Hz. makes this, in my 46 years of DX'ing, my opinion of the finest receiver
for pulling weak signals out of the noise floor on the lower bands.....There
have been many signals I would not have been able to hear without the LP on.
It may be due to the lower than normal frequency pitch that works best for
my hearing? I dial my ST in to 500 Hz. And that seems to work best for me
and the filter combinations I'm using here. At that tone frequency, the LP
makes a very noticeable difference.

Happy Holidays and best of DX. 73, -=Rog-K9RB=-