Re: [TenTec] Orion II 8 Pin DIN

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion II 8 Pin DIN
From: Kim Elmore <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 13:17:11 -0600
At 11:17 PM 12/28/2006, you wrote:
>You have the correct DIN connector.
>
>You can certainly wire something up a dongle to access the FSK keying lead.
>I purchased an RCA-14 from LDG Electronics and have relegated anything
>resembling a dongle to the back of the drawer.  No more dangling cables, and
>organized access to every pin ..
>
>Grant/NQ5T

Thanks, Grant. I just ordered an RCA-14 -- it looks like a very handy
breakout box for just such occasions.

If all goes well, I'll be using my venerable KAM for hardware FSK.
There's no longer much application for the VHF side of it, but the HF
side works well for FSK and a few of the linked -TOR modes. While
those have all but vanished. I always found the linked modes
fascinating, especially G-TOR, which adaptively changed speed (I
think it had three) based on conditions. PACTOR did similar things,
but didn't seem to be quite as robust.

Ah!  The Good Old Days :)

Happy New Year,

Kim Elmore, N5OP