Re: [TenTec] Titan III

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Titan III
From: "Charles Delaune" <chas118@cableone.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 10:38:22 -0600
Denny,

My Titan III is just over two months old. Two weeks ago, the line fuses blew
as soon as I switched from Standby to Operate. I sent it back for repair
(praying that those clowns at UPS didn't make things worst). It was repaired
and is on its way back as I type this note. I'm keeping my fingers crossed
that nothing happens to it during shipping. Because of the horror stories
I've heard from others, including yourself, about shipping damages, I cringe
whenever I have to ship equipment via UPS. I wonder if Fed Ex is any better?

In any case, the problem with my Titan, according to the tech that did the
repair, was that the plate choke started arching to the chassis when HV was
applied, which naturally caused the line fuses to blow! Apparently, the
plate choke is mounted VERY close to the chassis! He applied shrink tubing
to the tab, on the choke, which was arching, and said that this should
remedy the problem. He also said that one of the tubes was jarred loose from
its socket and that I should double check them when I get the amp back, and
install the transformer. Those UPS idiots must have flipped the box upside
down and dropped it to cause a tube to jar loose.

I'm supposed to receive the amp and transformer, Tuesday. After what the
tech at Ten Tec told me about one of the tubes, and reading about the damage
your transformer received, thanks to UPS, I'm almost afraid to open the
boxes when they get here!

I'll get a better idea of the "modification" the tech preformed to the plate
choke when I install the transformer. I seem to recall hearing about a plate
choke arching problem from another ham I had a QSO with a few months ago,
but I can't remember if it was with a Centurion or a Titan. In the future,
if your Titan suddenly starts blowing line fuses, I would first look for any
signs of arching on the plate choke BEFORE I sent it back to Ten Tec via the
UPS torture test!

Charlie - N5BLY