Re: [TenTec] AM Receiver distortion in Orion II

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] AM Receiver distortion in Orion II
From: "Grant Youngman" <nq5t@tx.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 10:55:46 -0600
> far. But I'm certain that the 6 kHz bandwidth limit imposed
> by th eroofing filter severely affects the audio quality.

You can alsways manually select the 20Khz roofing filter in the filter menu.
In any case, the skirts of the roofing filters are relatively broad.

> 6 kHz, AM sounds better than I've ever heard it. It seems
> that what we need for AM is a 12 kHz bandwidth roofing filter
> and 12 kHz DSP bandwidth.

Certainly need more DSP receive bandwidth for AM.  Even 9 Khz total would be
a boon.  More transmit bandwidth wouldn't hurt -- the v1/v2 (1.xx firmware)
Orion at least gives you as much AM transmit bandwidth as you can select for
SSB, which is not the case in the v2/II.  As someone else pointed out,
there's a lot of information contained in that little piece of spectrum
between a bit over 3 Khz and 3.9 Khz, and it would be nice to be able to use
it when band congestion factors allowed.

Grant/NQ5T