Re: [TenTec] Orion II key click report

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion II key click report
From: Martin AA6E <aa6e@ewing.homedns.org>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 15:22:02 -0500
I have found that v2 firmware has poorer keyclick results than v1 on my
Orion.  It's not just a question of rise time, but the shaping (raised
cosine) of the wave -- gradual transitions at start and finish of the
key-up or key-down ramp.  V2 seemed to have poorer shaping, especially
when the power setting was < 100.  This problem may carry over to the
Orion II, and the situation may get worse when you're using an amp.  I
don't have a scope with delayed sweep - that's what I really need!

You can check my efforts at
http://blog.aa6e.net/2006/07/orion-keyclick-checks.html

My advice is to run with as long a rise time as you can, consistent with
your keying speed.

73 Martin AA6E