[TenTec] Orion Ergonomics, Key Clicks, etc.

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Orion Ergonomics, Key Clicks, etc.
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 02:54:56 +0000
AC5AA:
 >Interesting - I use the bandstacking registers all the time on my Orion I
with the latest firmware.  I have them set on all bands to CW, PSK, FSK, and
SSB freq and mode, and they are 100% repeatable.

         That wasn't the point I was making.  I believe they
are repeatable also, but you have no indication of which of
the 4 is set if you change bands without cycling through
all 4 of them.  The Omni VII uses a small A B C or D
to the right of the Main frequency readout to indicate which
band stack register you are on.  Note the "A" in the photo
below (upper right area of display).  I suggested this for
Orion at least 3 years ago.  I'm happy to see it made it's
way into Omni VII but what about us Orion orphans?

http://images.tentec.com/radio/products/588/7-FRONT-MIDDLE.jpg

         There may be a few other areas where Omni VII's
firmware is ahead of Orion's (e.g.apparently the QSK is
better from several reports I've seen.)  Hope springs eternal
that TT will someday get it right...if I live long enough.  :-)

                                 73,  Bill  W4ZV