[TenTec] Orion Noise Reduction Ability

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion Noise Reduction Ability
From: "Merle Bone" <merlebone@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 21:59:11 -0500
Gary (AA2IZ) said:
"I'm not the one to ask....so consult the archives.  As I remember there is a
strong interaction with other settings....I think it was AGC hang or
something, that drastically messed up the NR if these other settings are not
correct.  But if they are correct, then all is well.  This of course
accounts for widely different experiences with it."
Gary, I've followed this reflector for quite a while - since the Orion was
first released - but I don't think I know the story you are referring to.
Grant's comment about the interaction of the "front-end bandpass" and the
effectiveness of the noise blanker has been discussed here.

NR action does depend on the signal strength, the band characteristics of the
signal, the bandwidth setting of the IF pass-band and the setting of the NR
knob. Also, the NR code has been changed "significantly" over time (See the
archives). There was also a long discussion of what people "theorized" was
going on in the NR algorithm. Some people find different versions - and there
have been very different versions - more or less helpful. I think the effect of
this "tool" is "at the margin" in terms of improved signal to noise
improvement. But it may make using the rig "more pleasant" or "less tiring"
depending on the mode and the release of the code you are using and your own
preferences. I suspect the evaluation of the "usefulness" of NR depends more on
what individual expectations (subjective observations) are rather then what
really happens to the signal to noise ratio of the signal in the IF pass-band.
73, Merle - W0EWM