Re: [TenTec] Remote rig operations

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Remote rig operations
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 07:17:15 -1000
Hi Rob,

I agree with you, yet can see both (or many ) sides of the issue. I
personally want to turn the tuning knob myself. I use a computer for
logging, with interface for frequency data to the computer. I do not
control the rig with the computer, and I do not want to. (Yes I know
there is a microprocessor inside the Omni VI so it is effectively a
computer controlling the rig anyway)

Suppose you lived in a really noisy location, perhaps Manassas, or some
other place with BPL. Suppose that you and a couple of other ham friends
went in together to buy a cheap square of dirt out in the boonies, and
you put together a station there. You and your friends put up all the
antennas and ran all the coax, and made everything work remotely. Then
you go home and listen on your receiver there, hearing nothing but
noise, or you listen on your internet linked (NOT using BPL!) station
and can hear weak signals and work them, just like you had a QTH in the
country.

I can see how I might enjoy HF ham radio using a remote site.

Ken N6KB