Re: [TenTec] FLEX, Omni-VII, Hilberling

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] FLEX, Omni-VII, Hilberling
From: "Grant Youngman" <nq5t@tx.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 15:20:19 -0500
> Take a look a the High Performance SDR project.  Not only open source
> software, but the equivalent open source hardware. Granted, this is a
> group of dedicated individuals, not a company out to make a profit.

Hi, Mark ..

Yes, I try to keep tabs on what's going on at HPSDR.  It is an interesting
project, and will be even more interesting to see what happens with a
complete and usable package.

It also seems the Flex SDR-X project has been re-targeted (if "re" is really
correct) to government markets -- but based on info I've seen posted in the
past, Flex was using the ham market as leverage to move into more lucrative
businesses where customers are willing to pay $3700 for a 1/8" blade
screwdriver :)   To be clear, I'm not saying that's a bad thing because high
margin markets help companies like Flex (and Icom and Tentec) to continue to
supply gear to the ham market at arguably "affordable" prices.  And it
appears that the new 5000-series has benefited from the work on the SDR-X.
It was a bit disappointing to see that of the announced versions of the 5000
radio, it will apparently not be possible to start small and upgrade
incrementally.  But a lot remains to be seen.

Life is never as simple as we'd like it to be :)

Grant/NQ5T