[TenTec] FLEX, Omni-VII, Hilberling

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] FLEX, Omni-VII, Hilberling
From: "Merle Bone" <merlebone@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 16:57:37 -0500
Grant wrote:"I did note that all of the "open source" balderdash about the Flex
radios
has passed into oblivion."
Well, Grant, I don't think that is actually what has happened (More on the Flex
reflector). Nearly all of the code that we call "firmware" in the Orion/Orion
II will continue to run in a "PC" and will be "open-source." There is some
firmware in the radio that controls some of the functions of the radio - like
frequency setting of the DDS etc - that is in
controlled firmware, but it really relates to very basic hardware functions.
None of the complex radio functions like modulation, demodulation, filters,
noise reduction, speech processing, band-scope etc are in the "firmware."  All
of that complex function code will continue to be open source and execute in
the "PC" that goes with the Flexradio setup. Lots of very bright folks
contributing to the code for those complex radio functions.
73, Merle - W0EWM