Re: [TenTec] V2.060b Release Comments

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] V2.060b Release Comments
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 11:52:31 -0600
On Wed, 2007-04-25 at 13:26 -0400, Carl Moreschi wrote:
> I agree that the click at the end of the CW note is much more on 2.060b than
> it was on 2.059d.  But 2,059d had not QSK at all.  With 2.060b, you can at
> least get pretty good QSK.  And if the click bothers you, turn the CW delay
> to 3%.  You lose high speed QSK but that makes it clickless.  I just
> wouldn't call these things sidetone problems.  The sidetone is clean, it's
> just the smuck at the end of a keyed element that is bothersome.
>
> Carl Moreschi N4PY
> 121 Little Bell Drive
> Bell Mountain
> Hays, NC 28635

Perhaps the difference noted comes from differences in headphone
impedances and sensitivity. Probably the TX/RX click comes from that
mode switching and is fixed in voltage amplitude. If that is the case,
then a higher impedance and lower sensitivity headset should transfer
less click to the ears. The trade off is whether the sidetone and
receiver outputs can be raised to proper levels. It might be that the
low Z high sensitivity headphones can be helped a lot with simply a
series resistor.
--
73, Jerry, K0CQ,