Re: [TenTec] V2.060b Release Comments

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] V2.060b Release Comments
From: "Merle Bone" <merlebone@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 15:19:59 -0500
Bob (NW8L) said:
"I wonder if the AGC attack time has been tweaked, as band noise seems
less harsh - but maybe is it my imagination?"

I agree with Bob. One of the big issues, for me, with the last V2 release for
the Orion was the "distortion" that occurred
with a strong signal on the leading edge of the signal (I know some people
"changed" it with AGC delay - that just caused me more issues in bands with
multiple signals). It seemed that a "delayed AGC" was allowing "overshoot" in
the audio stages. I don't hear any of that on the V2.060b release. Another
significant improvement. Of course, a lot of gain was taken out of the receiver
in the last release - and it is still gone. But V2.060 still looks like a "big"
improvement in the Orion over previous V2 releases - and maybe over V1 -
depending on what performance issues you give the most weight.
73, Merle - W0EWM