[TenTec] V2.060b Release Comments

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] V2.060b Release Comments
From: "Vincent Bond" <k7na@roadrunner.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 16:29:35 -0700
I have to agree with 5B4AGN, in my experience the newest O1 firmware version
does exhibit serious sidetone clicks at the trailing edge of each character,
regardless of receiver settings. I am noticing the artifact only when using
headphones (both Heil Proset and Sony 7506) and the audio through the speaker
of my Herc II sounds clean. The problem is I never use the speaker.

This click sounds exactly like what I heard in 2.059d when I discovered the
sub-receiver was set to any mode other than CW. When the sub-rx was set to a CW
mode, the artifact completely disappeared and K7HP and I reported this to DnB.
With that in mind, I tried today to adjust various parameters of the
sub-receiver while testing barefoot on CW (with headphones) in an effort to
find a "magic bullet" setting that once again would solve the over-driven sound
of the sidetone. So far, no such luck but I'll keep searching. I don't believe
the artifact is related to QSK or headphone imp.

I agree with Bob, it is aweful sounding in headphones and seems to exist
independent of any adjustment of QSK, audio and RF levels, sidetone, etc.  I
run my RF gain down around 50-60 on 40 meters, the AF gain at about 50 percent,
and the sidetone around 4-6. I use med or slow AGC, and have nothing connected
to rig other than coax, mic, paddles, headphones, a shielded cable to the Herc
speaker, and the auto band switch from Orion to the Herc. I hope a solution is
found because operating CW is no fun listening to raspy sidetone audio.

Vince K7NA