Re: [TenTec] Elecraft K3 vs Orion?

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Elecraft K3 vs Orion?
From: Neal Campbell K3NC <nealk3nc@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 14:47:39 -0400
The Flex model is a bit different in that part of the "radio" is in
hardware and part in software. Flex sells the hardware and a
collected group of open-source fanatics build the software. That is
not really the case with the K3. The hardware is Elecraft after a
bunch of advisory group input (if I read it correctly) and the dsp
code was done by the same guy who did the KDSP2 module. I do not know
the business relationship between Lyle and Elecraft but it appears to
me that it has become more formal than just when he did the KDSP2 for
them.

I have no quetstion that the K3 will be a killer rig. I have no doubt
that the O2 is a killer rig. Whether the market determines the O2 is
a grand better than a loaded K3 will be the question. Its not obvious
at this stage what that answer is. If the answer is no, it could mean
a price reduction (compete on cost) a feature enhancement (lets see
the firmware really shine) or product removal (maybe the Omni 7 is
the right price point for selling rigs.

I think the companies who are hanging their future on 10K+ rigs are
in trouble though. The old paradigm has surpassed them.
Microcontrollers and relatively cheap FGPAs, uDSPs, etc. are so
common and usable that "homebrewing" can now develop a 10K rig killer
with much less cost. Just look at the HPSDR project and you can tell
its a new world for smart guys.

As Grant says, however, its all good, life is indeed good for us.

Neal Campbell K3NC
nealk3nc@gmail.com

telnet to our DX Spotting clusters at: dxc.k3nc.com, ports 12001 and 23

"Devoted to Dogs: How to be your dog's best owner"
Great Dog Book  at www.abrohamneal.com