Re: [TenTec] Elecraft K3 vs Orion

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Elecraft K3 vs Orion
From: Eric Rosenberg <wd3q@starpower.net>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 17:42:52 -0400 (EDT)
Who does the work is irrelevant.

In today's world the vast majority work from electronics to computers to
construction, requiring specialized knowledge, training and tools is outsourced
(do you have the knowledge or all the tools your gardener or plumber have?).
It's business decision. Regardless if done in house or outside is a matter of
throughly and accurately defining the task, (in the case of outsourcing)
awarding it to the right bidder, and then managing it.

My hope is that this heightened competition from manufacturers developing
radios in the same price bracket (in this case, the Omni-VII and Orion II),
will force Ten Tec to make its process for handling equipment issues
transparent, which it presently is not.

I'd like to see
- a list of reported issues and date submitted
- status verification by Ten Tec:
   "we have/have not yet investigated this report."
   "we have/not been able to replicate this problem."

This list should not be prioritized, and should merely a FIFO list. My issue
might not be yours, as the order they approach fixes is one that only Ten Tech
can make.

I believe this transparency will *signifcantly* improve Ten Tec's seriously
damaged reputation for service.  I say this as I've just returned from Visalia
(the International DX Convention), where Elecraft (Eric) introduced the K3, and
had three running for folks to play with every day.  The tear sheets that have
been circulating were available. [I'd dispute the price someone quoted on this
reflector. When I scrubbed the numbers, a K3 *equivalent* to an Orion II was
about $1000 less expensive].

I spoke with lots of Orion users who all commented on how Ten Tec's handling
Orion issues has really damaged their otherwise well-deserved reputation for
customer service. I agree with this assessment and believe it will be a factor
for those who are considering the K3 vs a Ten Tec product.  It's not enough for
Ten Tec and their supporters to respond by saying that the Japanese
manufcaturers are equally quiet. To succeed and hopefully win is to make a
positive response. Take the high road and the  right road.

What am I going to do? Nothing. My Orion works well. I'd rather spend the
difference between what I can get for my Orion and pay for a K3 on antennas,
RFI mitigation and cleaning up my RF environment. If you can't hear 'em, you'll
never work 'em, and antennas are the first item in the chain.

73,
Eric W3DQ
Washington, DC