Re: [TenTec] Elecraft K3 vs Orion

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Elecraft K3 vs Orion
From: K4IA@aol.com
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 10:57:48 EDT
I don't know where all these cost numbers come from.  Here is the  Order
Form.

_http://www.elecraft.com/K3/K3%20Order%20form%20rev%204.pdf_
(http://www.elecraft.com/K3/K3%20Order%20form%20rev%204.pdf)

I ordered the 100w Modular kit $1,749 plus the Subreceiver $539 for a  total
of $2,288.  That is considerably below the cost of an OII without the  ATU
($4,095).  It is around the cost of a used O1.  Extra roofing  filters are
extra
on all the rigs but run $79-$120 for the K3.  I'll decide  later which ones I
might need.  If I decide on an ATU later I can add  it for $259 - something I
can not do with my O1.  The price delta on an OII  with and without the ATU is
$300 so they are roughly comparable on that  cost.  Again, I think the TT ATU
can not be added to an OII later.   Could be wrong about that.

The modular K3 is priced below the FT2000, ProIII, or OmniVII.  It is  $1,807
below the OII.

The factory-assembled K3 without the ATU is $2,588 around the same as the
mentioned radios and still $1,507 below the OII.

Like I said, Elecraft has raised the bar considerably.

k4ia
Craig  "Buck"
Fredericksburg, Virginia USA