Re: [TenTec] Orion XVTR RF output

To: "TenTec List" <TenTec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion XVTR RF output
From: "Rick Williams" <rick.williams@telus.net>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 09:35:02 -0700
Thanks for the reply Martin.  I'm running 2.060b firmware.

I am using an SSB model LT6S six metre transverter.  The transverter has a
built in adjustable attenuator and the input required is adjustable from 1
mW to 500 mW.  I have adjusted the transverter attenuator so that 20 watts
output (maximum spec of the transverter) is delivered when the Orion PWR
setting is at 100.  According to the Orion manual, the power setting adjusts
the XVTR RF output to between +5dBm and +15 dBm (about 3 mW to 30 mW).

The power settings are not the issue for me.  The issue is adjusting the MIC
gain to obtain adequate ALC indication.  There is no problem in CW.  (I
successfully worked Hawaii on CW yesterday so I know it's working!)

I've also received a reply (off the reflector) from a user encountering the
"problem" I have described while operating a Down East Microwave
transverter.

I guess the issue here is shouldn't the ALC setting be independent of
whether a transverter is attached to the XVTR RF output connector?  Or am I
way off base here?

73,

Rick
VE7TK

Website:  <http://www3.telus.net/ve7tk>

From:   Martin AA6E
Date:   Tue, 22 May 2007 01:09:40 -0400

What transverter are you using?  What input level does it require?  What
Orion firmware version do you have?

I use an Elecraft XV144 with no particular problem. I do not need to
adjust mic gain, but I do set the power level down to about 60-75 to
match the transverter's sensitivity.

73 Martin AA6E