Re: [TenTec] Gauge of wire from power supply question?

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Gauge of wire from power supply question?
From: "Ron Castro" <ronc@sonic.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 17:30:02 -0700
The big problem is IR loss in the wire from the power supply to the radio,
not necessarily the "ampacity" of the wire.  The longer and thinner the
wire, the more the voltage drop as the current increases.  The voltage will
vary quite a bit, and during SSB operation can add to the transmit IMD.
Also, if you have marginal power supply voltage to begin with, any further
drop during transmit can cause some circuits in the radio to go "buggy",
which is why TT recommends running 13.8 VDC if possible.

I replaced the original cable on my Orion II with 4' of #10 which has very
low IR loss at 20 amps.

                     Ron  N6IE
                www.N6IE.com