[TenTec] Multiple Orion Antennas

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Multiple Orion Antennas
From: "Robert Carroll" <w2wg@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 20:52:53 -0400
For reasons too long and boring to go into, I am making a change to the
antenna configuration on my Orion I, going to a MonstIR for 40-10m on port 1
with a legal limit amp, and a variety of wire antennas for 160m through 40m
with a separate legal limit amp and switching network on port 2.

The answer to my question SHOULD be "no problem," I think, but I would like
to consult the greater wisdom of the reflector.

When transmitting on port one, the Orion T/R relay, which I suspect is a
reed relay, must provide enough isolation to the rx on the active port to
prevent swamping and damage.  Perhaps it even grounds the rx input port.  It
must do this with up to 100W going out of the Orion.

If I am transmitting on port I with 1.5KW, I will be picking up significant
energy on the antenna connected to port 2, which is connected to the wire
antennas.  The wire antennas are far enough away not to grossly interact
with and detune the MonstIR,   The wires are certainly not going to be able
to deliver 100W to the port 2 antenna connector (which most likely does not
look like 50 ohms when port 1 is transmitting), but it is fair to guess the
signal coming in on port 2 will be  a fairly "hot" one, and potentially
capable of delivering significant current through a short through relay
contacts, or presenting a few volts across and open circuit, or perhaps
smoking a surface mount 50 ohm terminator.  In your collective opinion could
this 2 port arrangement present any kind of a damage possibility?  I am sure
this could be answered for the most part from the schematic, but it is not
an easy one to decipher

I should also say that I am using an Orion 1, which some believe is more
sensitive to lockup problems from RF ingress than is the Orion 2. If there
is no potential for damage, would you expect my dual port setup to aggravate
the frequency of lockups?  I am reset averse.

73

Bob W2WG