[TenTec] Titan 425 troubles, R1 and blown 20a fuses

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Titan 425 troubles, R1 and blown 20a fuses
From: Carlin Royal <n5oe@nctwb.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 16:45:36 -0500
I have a Ten Tec Titan 425 that I have only had myself for about 6 months now.
The amp when I received it had 1 bad HV capacitor in the power supply. Due to
lack of funds at the time I replaced the one known bad capacitor. A few months
later I was operating the amplifier during a cw pileup for about 30 minutes, I
set everything on standby and went to lunch. When I returned to the shack I
find the amp had blown one of the 20amp fuses in the supply.
After checking in the PS, I found that R1 the 10ohm 25watt wire wound resistor
on the rectifier board had went open. I replaced the blown resistor and powered
the amp back up, this time again blowing a 20ampfuse and the same resistor. Ten
Tec advised to replace the original rectifer board with a new one, (82112 rev E
I beleive) since they thought some diodes were probably leaking and was the
cause of all my troubles. Now after replacing the old rectifier board with the
new one from Ten TEc, I power the amp on and it blows another 20amp fuse but
did not appear to fry the resistor this time. Here is the main question to the
list; Could I have another bad capacitor that is failing under high voltage
since they do not read any shorts on the VOM when individually beng tested. I
have on order 8 new 400uf 450v caps from Newark Electronics and will be
replacing them this week, but I am looking for more input as to the trouble. It
just seems odd to me that when sitting idle for just 3
 0 minutes the thing went south and now I have had all this trouble. Hopefully
I am on the right track and it will be one of the caps in the PS, but would be
interested to hear any other areas that I might could check within reason here
on the very limited bench. Thanks for any advise/comments.