Re: [TenTec] Titan 425 troubles, R1 and blown 20a fuses

To: <n5oe@nctwb.net>,"Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Titan 425 troubles, R1 and blown 20a fuses
From: "Jason Cooper" <jbear45@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 15:18:56 -0700
If one capacitor went south, there is a very good possibility that some others
were also very close to failure.  You are doing the right thing by ordering
some new ones.  There is a possibility of a transformer failure, however, a
Peter Dahl replacement is very expensive and you would have to replace the caps
if you cannot test them at high voltage.  I restored a 425 about 6 months ago
and tested each capacitor with a variable HV power supply and an ammeter.
After re-forming them, all my caps were well under 200uA at 500V so I did not
replace them.  If you can get to a HV supply or a HV curve tracer, you could
test the caps and that would give you some reasonable input if the failure was
caused by the caps.  Also an ESR test is useful if you can find someone with an
ESR meter.  If I remember correctly, R1 (It's R2 on my schematic) is in the
soft-start circuit and would certainly blow if one of the caps was drawing
excess current.

By the way, I just bought a whole lot of 2nF 10KV ceramic capacitors to replace
the plate blocking caps (C6 and C7)  These caps have the X5R dialectric and
will drift very little with heat unlike the OEM caps that Ten-Tec used.  This
will fix the tuning drift problem on 80M and 160M.  I would be willing to sell
off the excess if there is any interest

Good luck fixing your 425.  Jason KN7AZ