[TenTec] Fragile Radios

To: TenTec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Fragile Radios
From: John Huggins <john@johnhuggins.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 16:40:07 -0400
Hello all.

I have been trolling Ebay for used TenTec gear and have scored an Omni C
Series C.  This is to be, I hope, a step up from my trusty, but
cumbersome, Kenwood TS520SE (tube finals).

I am also paying close attention to more recent gear that pops up.  I
actually put a bid on an Omni VII that was advertised with a
malfunctioning power button (stuck on), but otherwise working.  I logged
on this morning to find the auction ended and my bid removed.  Reason?
The radio was having more problems.  The honesty of the seller is
greatly appreciated.

So this makes me wonder if the newer radios are more delicate than ever
being more like computers and less like radios we grew up with.

Since the TenTec warranty is for the original purchaser only and since
TenTec, I hear, does a great job of standing behind their product when
troubles arise, is it foolish to buy any used TenTec that is still under
the warranty to only the original purchaser?

John