Re: [TenTec] best CW decoder/xmit program for ten tecs

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] best CW decoder/xmit program for ten tecs
From: n4dxi@aol.com
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 21:47:57 -0400
A simple solution is the MFJ 464 Code Reader with its built in keyer. It has
4 message memories, enough for most contests. It is bestÂreceiving strong,
fast cw stations, a great help to me in contests where the speed is beyond my
capabilities or I am unsure of the call.
It is poorest with slow speed or a lot of QRM.

I found the display too small so I bought a used junk pc for $3 including a
monitor and cabled the MFJ 464 to the pc. Now I have a full screen display of
incoming cw.

You can also connect a keyboard to the MFJ 464 if you wish to send cw via a
computer keyboard (again, you can buy these very cheaply used).

The MFJ 464 is no match for an experienced cw operator especially when digging
out weak calls but when the speed gets too fast for me, especially during
contests, the MFJ 464 is a great help.

By using the MFJ 464 with an old pc, you can save your good pc for logging and
any internet work. Yes, I could open another window and read the code with my
good pc but that would make my logging window cluttered. Many logging
programs do not have a cw decoder. I use N3FJP's logger which I like because
it is fairly straightforward and reliable, but it does not have a cw reader.

Hope this helps...73, John Bescher, n4dxi