Re: [TenTec] Argosy 525D setup...

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Argosy 525D setup...
From: Kevin Purcell <kevinpurcell@pobox.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 09:26:56 -0700
525D spec

<http://tentecwiki.org/doku.php?id=525d>

There is a scan of the manual on the web (not perfect but not bad)
for the final version of the 525D. This should get you operational.

<http://www.qsl.net/tentec/manuals/525d.pdf>

The analog 525 Argosy ("Argosy 1") is mostly similar but there are
major and minor changes scattered through the design. Sometimes the
similar diagrams are easier to read.

<http://www.qsl.net/tentec/manuals/525.pdf>

The the last version of the radio is a decent radio. The early 525D
is pretty good (this is the version Drentea modified). The analog 525
has a rather low current 1496 RX mixer and is not very good amongst
strong signals.

What is the serial number? There are two slightly different versions
of the 525D (in the  first mixer design). This difference mostly
applies if you add a Noise Blanker (there are two versions for the
two versions of the front end).

<http://lists.contesting.com/_tentec/2007-04/msg00326.html>

Other things to check:

* what filters does it have? Remove the lid, look at the manual. I
you see one socket occupied with a 4 crystal filter you have the
original equipment 4 pole 2.4kHz filter. If you see one or two 8
crystal filters then you need to check the numbers on the filters to
see which ones you have.

* what state is the PTO in? Is the tuning smooth or does it stick?
The latter indicates you need to relube/rebuilt the PTO. TT still
sell the kit for this.

<http://tentecwiki.org/doku.php?id=pto>
<http://www.k9ew.us/525_pto.htm>

* Do you have the Airpax breaker (the Tentec Model 1140) for use from
battery or other power source. This is essential equipment for
protecting the rig against driving to excessively reactive loads. The
final transistors are difficult to get if you blow them.

* You might want to "fix" the AGC time constant to reduce popping,
especially if you do CW, with a simple capacitor change. I'm working
on a better fix for this (pending test equipment).

<http://tentecwiki.org/doku.php?id=525dpop>

and in multiple forms on the web and in hints and kints.

Other sources of info:

This list in the past! Searched with Google.

<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=site%3Alists.contesting.com%
2F_tentec%2F+argosy>

The TenTec Wiki is useful.

<http://tentecwiki.org/>

The Unofficial TenTec site

<http://www.qsl.net/tentec>

On Sep 25, 2007, at 7:26 PM, Tom Keil wrote:

> I recently acquired an Argosy 525D with the matching power supply,
> Model 670 keyer, and TT hand mike from an estate.
>
> I have no manual yet, although I have been promised it when it is
> found...
>
> It looks to me like a good basic radio. Can anyone tell me anything
> about it, pro or con???
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Tom NN5A

Kevin Purcell