Re: [TenTec] Argosy 525D setup...

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Argosy 525D setup...
From: ynkedragon@aol.com
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 14:43:29 -0400
I have owned an (analog) Argosy since about 1981. Other radios have
come and gone since then, but this one has remained in my shack.

Several others have already commented on the technical weaknesses and
some helpful mods. I'll add:
1. It is a wonderful sounding radio, on both CW and SSB. I think the
lack of synthesizer phase noise coupled with good crystal filters and a
clean audio amp makes this happen
2. The Pin-diode QSK is a joy to use. It is othing like the keyed relay
systems used by Yaewoodcom.
3. The Shure 444D is particularly well suited to use with this radio.
4. As it has aged, I've noticed that it has become a bit prone to drift
for the first hour on the air. There is an "after-market" board
available which reportedly corrects this situation. If you are not
trying to run digital modes, the drift may not matter.

Have fun with it! 73, Blair K3YD