Re: [TenTec] Tuning Rigs

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Tuning Rigs
From: John Huffman <hjohnc@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 16:38:49 -0400
I've been using the MFJ Matchmaker and it does a good job.  I really
like being able to tune without putting a signal on the air.
Previously, I used the Palomar Tuner-Tuner.  It's the same theory, but a
different implementation.

The big difference is what happens when you screw up and transmit into
the unit.  The MFJ has a circuit to automatically by-pass.  The Palomar
has a 1/16 amp fuse.  When using the Palomar, I had to stock up on the
fuses  :-)

You do have to tune on the air to find the general settings of your
tuner for the frequencies you normally use.  You log those tuner
settings.  From then on you can use the Matchmaker to touch up the
settings without putting a signal on the air.

I find I have to have the attenuator on to use the matchmaker.  Sure
wish I the unit had an adjustment for the noise level it creates.

73 de K1ESE
John