[TenTec] SB-220 Tubes and QSK

To: "TenTec Discussion" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] SB-220 Tubes and QSK
From: "N4YG" <n4yg@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 22:06:27 -0500
I just want to thank everyone who advised me to buy the RF Parts 3-500ZG tubes
for my SB-220. I am very pleased with the tubes. I have about 20% more output
power and it is almost unbelievable how much cooler the amp runs.

I also completed the QSK mod for the radio, based in large part on the info on
Rich Measures' web site. I am also very please with that and all works well
with the OMNI VI +.

I would like to mention one thing. I believe that many of you have installed
the Soft Key mod in the SB-220. I have studied the schematic for Soft Key
extensively. I have a much simpler circuit which you can build in a short time
for an expenditure of only a couple of bucks. It works great. I do not know if
the name "Soft Key" is intended to be descriptive of the mod or not, but its
keying is certainly not soft, in fact, why would one want to key the amplifier
T-R relay softly. Anyone who wishes to know how to build and install my circuit
can obtain details by sending me an email.

Joe