Re: [TenTec] Anyone using W2ihy products on omni 6 with goodresults?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Anyone using W2ihy products on omni 6 with goodresults?
From: "Rob Atkinson" <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 18:49:01 -0500
That might be okay for the Orion 2 but for a stock Omni 6, I don't
think much of anything extra is needed at all.  Here's why:  the rig's
tx bandwidth is roughly from around 300 hz up to 2.7 Khz.  If it is
properly alligned, and used with a compatible mic, it should have good
punchy dx rig type audio.  Anything that's boosted by an outboard box,
will probably get filtered out by the rig's IF filter or buckshot.  To
me, It, along with the Corsairs and Tritons and other earlier analog
TT rigs are best off following the "less is more" rule.  Just run a
mic into it, adjust the power and mic gain pots and call it a day.

Another reason is that the Omni 6 has no tx monitor circuit.   The one
in the W2IHY eq should definitely not be relied on because it does not
tell you how it sounds out of the rig on the air.    You need a
separate rx for that.

73

rob / k5uj

I have both the W2IHY 8 channel EQ and the EQ plus run in tandem.  My mic is
a Heil PR-40 which feeds into the W2IHY products and then out to my Orin II.
Works great.  The W2IHY products are very high quality.

Kirk, K6KAR
Niceville, FL