Re: [TenTec] O2 Receive antenna on 160M

To: Tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] O2 Receive antenna on 160M
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@doctorgary.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 19:27:38 -0500
Doug,

FWIW, I with great success and little fanfare made a shortened loop
antenna for 80 & 160. I followed the info in the Antenna handbook and
it was a large version of the AEA Isoloop. AEA didn't invent it, just
the specifics for their isoloop.

I ran 1.5KW through my shortened loop and it was a perfect 1:1

I know you're talking receiving but why not make one antenna do both?

You'll need a vacum Variable rated at around 15KV and whatever remote
tuning you want to use be it stepper or servos such as I used. The
servos were strong enough to adjust the vac variable and at the end
of travel I could feel the screw tighten or break free; either worked
just fine and I never had to take the travel to that extreme anyway.
The outdoor part was hermetically sealed in a plastic mailbox.

The incredibly high Q of the antenna helped remove QRM and indeed,
you're tuning the antenna with the cap, not the feedline. Literature
said the efficiency is I believe 95% of that of a dipole at the same
frequency. On 80 meters I had about a 5 kHz bandwidth and on 160 it
was about three Khz. You just adjust via the reciever and when you
hear the QRN the loudest, you're dead on frequency.

I worked most of the 160M DXCC credits I have on that antenna & the
two amps it was hooked up with was a Heathkit 220 and an Alpha 77SX.
If that antenna can handle that Alpha, it can handle anything...

Not a have to, but it's a very viable answer to having one antenna do
both.

Gary
ka1j

> Gentlemen,
> I have looked at the archives and am unable to find a
definitive