Re: [TenTec] Astatic Mikes

To: kd3jf@arrl.net
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Astatic Mikes
From: "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <gsm@mendelson.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 14:59:08 +0200
On Thu, Nov 29, 2007 at 04:38:11AM -0800, Paul Gates, KD3JF wrote:

> One other thing I wanted to mention in researching Barjan.... Was the
> selling of 10 meter radios.... 10 watts out and SSB, AM, and FM. I
> suspect for the CB crowd.

Since you do not need a license to buy a ham rig in the U.S., and
these are I assume far cheaper than a multiband HF rig, they would
make good holiday presents for a technician who just was given
HF privledges.

It's a lot easier and cheaper to take production CB rigs, change
the freqencies and sell them to hams than it is to take one,
remove AM, and add CW. The AM is not much use to anyone AFAIK,
but FM could be quite useful.

Without wanting to get into a political discussion, CW is not
IMHO a deciding factor for someone who will never use it.
In fact, many Japanese rigs have lesser performance on CW
than SSB, because most Japanese hams won't use it.

10 watts PEP is just enough to "work the world" when the bands are
open, and not enough to cause the CPU in a car to explode. :-)

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel gsm@mendelson.com  N3OWJ/4X1GM
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838