Re: [TenTec] 425 titan

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 425 titan
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 21:25:36 -1000
Hi Bob,

     There have been at least three versions of  Ten-Tec Titan
amplifiers (or four if you count the darker colored version of the 425,
and I guess there was a "Gold" edition of the 425 too, so perhaps five
versions). To the best of my knowledge all of the 425 editions use a
pair of 3CX800A7. The Titan II 416 uses a single 4CS1600B (according to
the unofficial Ten-Tec site, but I wonder if that should be 4CX1600B)
and the Titan III (model number?) uses a pair of 4CX800A, so easy to
make a mistake. The only one I know much about is the 425, 'cause I own
one. I really like it too.
     Aside from the different color schemes, there are a few variations
of power supplies and the functions of one of the switches on the front
panel of the 425. My power supply has an HV high/low switch and a fan
speed high/low switch. Not all have both of those, and perhaps some have
neither. I believe there is a version with the HV high/low switch on the
front panel of the amplifier, instead of the QSK/ PTT/VOX switch mine
has there. I suspect it is important not to get power supplies and 425
amplifiers separated, if you have more than one version, unless Ten-Tec
made the wiring of the interconnecting cable compatible with any
combination of amplifiers and power supplies.

DE N6KB