Re: [TenTec] 425 titan

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 425 titan
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 16:01:20 -0600
On Sat, 2008-01-19 at 09:52 -1000, Ken Brown wrote:
> > The E was the export model.  I would guess that the rest of the world
> > doesn't have the CB'ers to contend with.
> >
> The whole world has CB'ers to contend with. The difference is that not
> all of the world's regulatory agencies choose a policy that penalizes
> law abiding radio amateurs in an attempt to deal with a problem caused
> by CB'ers who are ignoring the law anyway.
>
> The ban on 10 meter capability of amplifiers was no doubt one of the
> reasons that Ten-Tec discontinued the 405 amplifier. It was also an
> impediment to Elecraft's 100 watt upgrade to the K2.
>
> One could make comparisons with gun registration laws, wherein law
> abiding citizens are burdened with regulations that cannot stop outlaws
> from breaking the law, but I digress.
>
> The ban on 10 meter capabilities in commercially available amplifiers
> has been changed lately, has it not? What are the details now?
>
> DE N6KB

The anti CB amplifier rules didn't allow an amplifier to take less than
40 or 50 watts drive, for sure nothing that took 3 to 5 watts was legal
and it couldn't have too much power gain or work on 27 MHz. Those
details killed off the 405 and it took Elecraft a long time to get the
upgrade approved. I think the rules have changed recently. A look at the
latest part 97 would answer that question now.

73, Jerry, K0CQ