Re: [TenTec] Centurion Plate Capacitor

To: <atrampler@att.net>,"Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Centurion Plate Capacitor
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 15:45:22 -0600
Art:

Sounds like the capacitor may be defective, perhaps due to prior arcing
which may cause "tits" or small spikes of metal to form on the edges of the
plates.  Thus the actual voltage rating is reduced.  I suggest that you
contact Tentec and order an exact replacement.  It is reasonably easy to
change.  I do not suggesting trying a capacitor with a higher rating as it
will be physically larger nor do I suggest trying to fit a vacuum variable
due to the same reasons.

As to loading, since there are some fixed values of capacitance switched in
with the output/load capacitor, these may have failed or been damaged.  A
careful examination of the units should be done, looking for any evidence of
arcing, chipped components or charred areas.  Also, check the parasitic
suppressors for evidence of overheating. A VHF oscillation can cause havoc
inside the amp.  These amps are very solid and stable when working
correctly.  Any problem is likely caused due to operator error or
antenna/load failure.

Of course, a trip to Sevierville might be in order should you not have the
time, experience and equipment to repair this amp.  Should you decide to
ship it, contact Tentec and have them ship you an empty box with internal
packing components so as to properly pack and ship the unit.  It is well
worth the extra effort and a few dollars spent.

73
Bob, K4TAX