Re: [TenTec] O2_dreps_top_spot

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] O2_dreps_top_spot
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 07:39:59 -0600
On Tue, 2008-02-19 at 14:01 +0100, pa5mw@home.nl wrote:
> >   OTOH, I am seeing criticism of some flaws in the K3 receiver <I won't
> > repeat them here as I do not know the validity of what I read)
>

> I have compared it against my Orion +600Hz roofing filter on CW only.
> Both the K3 owner and I agreed the Orion proved better at weak signal
> reception on 160m. Despite the 200, 250, 400, 1000, 2700and 2800 Hz roofing
> filters which were available. By the way those do not make a difference
> during normal use. The 400Hz 8-pole is already great.
> But  such does *not prove anything* ; it was a single afternoon plus late
> evening listening on 1 band and using 1 mode only. On my antennas.
>
> After careful listening to the K3 for so many weeks at different setups
> antennas, adding 144 transverter etc.. I was ready to write a review.....but
> refrained from it.
> The K3 at that point was not matured yet. Later sw and dsp sw showed
> enhancements which proved quite relevant. And I'm sure that there is still a
> great potential left.  Refinements at the K2 through the first year(s) have
> proven this too.
> And that is the big difference with YaeComWood.
>
> I am extremely happy with my Orion and will stick with it.
> But I'm also very pleased with the great performance the K3 shows already at
> this stage.
>
> There is so much more in the "which is better"  question.
> For me , let's stick to the question:"can I make more qso's with that rig or
> what ?"
>

> '73 Mark, PA5MW
>
> p.s. the Orion tested at Sherwood are shown with specs using the internal
> 1000Hz std roofing filter , right?

OK now my question is, how do these receivers do when hit with ignition
noise, lightning spherics, and power line noise. Do they click or crash?
Its easy to make a narrow filter that converts clicks to crashes,
Collins did it 50 years ago, its a lot harder to make a filter with very
narrow bandwidth, without it ringing a long time after each impulse hits
it.

E.g. are these receivers useful summertime in Iowa on 160 and 80 meters?

73, Jerry, K0CQ