Re: [TenTec] Omni VI Plus audio

To: <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VI Plus audio
From: Fraser Robertson <g4bjm@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 23:49:44 +0000
Our club's Omni6+ option3 sounds very different on USB and LSB, and it's not
possible to correct it by adjusting the BFO frequencies, so it must be down to
the filter being asymetrical.  I understood that was a common failing, but
perhaps our filter is faulty?

73 Fraser G4BJM
> Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 18:37:51 -1000> From: ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net> To:
> tentec@contesting.com> Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VI Plus audio> > > > Now I
> don't know why the higher bands are different on your rig.> > Wonder if you
> have an antenna problem? > >> > > If the SSB Receive (or transmit) audio
> sounds different on 10, 15, 20 > meters than it does on 40, 75 meters, you
> should be comparing the sound > on USB versus LSB. Your SSB audio
> characteristic should not change at > all due to changing bands, other than
> because of the convention of using > USB above 9 MHz and LSB below 9 MHz. The
> audio characteristics also > should not change very much from USB to LSB. If
> it does change, that is > an indication that your BFO frequencies are
> misaligned for one or both > SSB modes. Another possibility, although not
> nearly as likely, is a > partially failed crystal filter with a
> non-symmetrical passband shape. > The first thing to do is check the BFO
> frequencies. If you install new
  > filters, of any brand, without getting the BFO frequencies right, you >
will still have a problem.> > DE N6KB> >